An Introduction.

Our Purpose: 

Over the course of our lifetimes, whenever we have shared our life's story with someone, the response has generally been the same - "You could write a book!" "You could use your story to help people!" "Wow, you've been through a lot - you should write about it!" etc., which eventually prompted us to team up together to write what you're reading now. We both are finally at a place where we can talk about our trauma, our stories, and how we've overcome all of life's curveballs thus far.

Though we've not forgotten the things that happened to us and our experiences have previously been shared in private settings, we think discussing them on a more public platform could have a greater impact. We don't have identical stories, and they won't be the same as yours. But our hope is that sharing them will encourage others to speak up because your voices and your stories matter too.

There will be some topics that are triggering, i.e. suicide attempts and sexual assault, but there will also be topics about art, how writing can be used as a healing tool and much more. We have been told that our voices matter, that we have stories to tell, that we shouldn't hide behind shame or fear, because our voices could help someone else who is feeling alone. Joining forces would mean that you, the reader, would get two sides to a particular subject or thought. We hope that in doing so, you are able to gain something from us, whether that's comfort, a little bit of peace, a safe space, or even knowledge or a viewpoint that you may not have had before. We would also like to hear from YOU and are interested in elevating your voices. If you have a story you'd like to share, a hardship that you've overcome, or something you've had to deal with in your life, we're interested in connecting with you! You could write us a piece or we could interview you. Whichever you are most comfortable with.

Writing is a powerful tool and we hope that you will join us on our new journey, When Art Heals.


Who We Are: 

Jane: 


I don't remember a time in my life when I wasn't writing. Poetry, short stories, journals and even some song writing. The first story I remember sharing with a group was about a young boy who had just moved and started a new school. He was trying to make friends and find where he fit in, something I've always struggled to do. It was then I realized writing could be more than a hobby. As I grew and life threw more challenges my way, I dug deeper into writing. I could be exactly who I was, nothing more and nothing less. Writing became my safe space. A space I could get to and from anywhere. Writing became a crucial factor, getting me through the difficult times when it often felt impossible to even breathe. Being able to go back and read through those experiences allows me to continuously put their lessons to work. 



Josefina: 

I started writing years ago, when I was twelve, for myself, in a little diary that had horses on the cover. I wanted to keep a record of what was going on in my life and keep track of the emotions I was experiencing as I transitioned into a new school. Unfortunately for me, that diary was stolen and read aloud to a group of kids, at said new school, where I was made fun of for weeks. While I quit writing in a tangible space, I never stopped the narration that went on in my head. It would take me until college to really begin to love writing again. I would then keep little notes in corners of papers, spend money on journals that I had ever intent to write in, and eventually began writing, publicly, for the Elephant Journal, back in 2015. But life has a habit of throwing curveballs and stopping you in your tracks. Minus the one thing I wrote in 2018, I hadn't really thought about writing again, until this year. 2020. Not to record the craziness that is happening around us, but to record memories before I lose them to trauma brain. Back in 2008 I was handed a camera and told to take pictures of what I saw around me - people, nature, or whatever struck me at the time. In 2012, I decided to start taking photos of people full-time and telling their stories through the images that I captured. My own story has been silenced time and time again, but it was freeing to be able to tell the stories of others and show them in a healing, positive light. It was through this art that I found my footing again and found a little bit of healing. 



*****

Before you take part or read this blog, please remember that these are real stories as we remember them. We are not therapists and are NOT qualified to diagnose, treat or provide counseling. The coping strategies shared in our stories are what we found to be useful and may not work for everyone. Some of the content, as mentioned above, may be triggering. If you need to reach out, please call 911, or go to your local hospital or stress center. Additional resources include National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-(800)-273-TALK (8255); the National Hopeline Network: 1-(800)-442-HOPE (4673); the Crisis Text Line - Text "HOME" to 741741 to connect with a crisis counselor; and the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-(800)-799-SAFE (7233). 

Comments

  1. What a wonderful Blog! I'm so excited to learn more and eventually get my own story out there to help as many people as I can. Thank you for your creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking us out! We would love to hear your story!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, thank you for reading! We look forward to hearing your story!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting In

From a Negative to a Positive